for service times
Grid Reference 479900
Postcode: SA3 1AA
Download "In the steps of the saints" here
The dedication to St George is a reminder of the Anglo/Norman
influence in this part of Gower: the figure of St George slaying the
dragon is carved in relief on the stone pulpit.
A church has stood on this site since the early 13th century. The
present building dates from the mid-1860s, and is a fine example
of Victorian Gothic architecture.
There is a wealth of stained glass, including the three-light west
window designed by Nathaniel Westlake in 1905. The transept
contains many tombstones and memorial plaques from the old
church, mostly to members of the Lucas family.
Standing near the chancel arch is a pillar cross, one of the earliest
Christian monuments in Gower, being probably 9th century. The
Norman font is carved from a single block of stalagmite.
Church open daily in August: telephone 391436, 390180, 390070.