for service times
Postcode: SA2 7LD
Download "In the steps of the saints" here
The church derives from a 6th century monastic cell. The present
church was largely built during the 13th century incorporating the
cell in the base of a massive embattled tower with a saddleback
roof. For the millennium celebrations the tower was re-opened into
the church and the area restored as a simple but beautiful chapel.
Other notable features include the burial niche in the north
sanctuary wall which would have marked the grave of someone of
note; possibly even Illtyd himself. Also the bells: two are rung,
dating from 1716 and the third, dating from the 15th century, now
lies inside opposite the entrance. The massive yew tree in the
churchyard is believed to be as old as the church itself.
Open from Easter to the end of October.
Telephone 01792 232928 or 371275.